Tuesday 12 October 2010

Self Evaluation - Alphabet Soup... 10 letterforms

What is being communicated & how?
The starting point for my ten letterforms was the word divide, my first idea was to use acetate to layer and seperate sections of the letter, although this had a pleasing outcome it did not meet the brief as each frame had to be easily identifiable as an individual letterform, and with this idea it was not the case. So after experimenting with the positive and negative spaces of a letterform I decided to use them to communicate the letter rotating and dividing from itself.

How well does this answer the brief? & why?
I think that this simple approach to the word 'divide' successfully answers the brief, although it could be mistaken for the word 'twist' or 'rotate'.

How well has the idea been visually explored?
I think that I have explored various visual ideas and concepts fairly thourougly, all of this being noted in my sketchbook. This allowed me to experiment with different ideas, inculding seeing how the letterforms would look using computer software, and find out through the process of elimination which ideas work best.

What are the strengths of the resolution?
I feel the main strength is how well the 10 letterforms are communicated as a series, it is very clear that the letter 'n' is being slowly rotated from itself. I also like the hand reendered approach I have taken to this brief, producing a more interesting outcome.

How could it be improved?
I feel that towards the end and individually the letterforms can be quite hard to read, although as a series they work well together. Also on the last letterform it is hard to tell wether its actually an 'n' or 'u' as by this point it is rotated upside down.

No comments:

Post a Comment