Thursday 2 February 2012

Study task 3



How will I promote myself?

What do ‘they’ want to hear?
What should I say to ‘them’?
How will I communicate with ‘them’?

My work is largely print and illustration based, so it is important that I promote myself to the appropriate target market. I need to appeal to people that are interested in print, this means that marketing myself through digital means may not be entirely suitable. This is not to say that I can not promote myself at all in this way, after all we are in the digital age. I will of course have a website, as it is the most efficient and cost effective way of displaying my portfolio and contact details. I will probably also have a blog to keep my work fresh in my clients eyes and keep my followers intrigued. I will obviously have to communicate via email the majority of the time as well, sometimes sending a digital portfolio when required.
I currently have my course blog, but I would not want to use this as a form of promotion because it isn't very professional. I plan to start up a tumblr blog shortly with a selection of work that I feel best describes my personal practice.
Although all of these methods of marketing may be necessary at times, I would like to keep digital methods to a minimum. To communicate my practice non digitally I will have to be creative in my means of self promotion. The first way would be to attend as many exhibitions and networking events as possible. I will then need business cards, I have already designed some rough versions but I intend to develop on these. I also want to create a new email address that is strictly for business only.



Being very print based, I feel that the most effective way to communicate this to my customers would for them to have something physical that they can touch and feel. 
A monthly or quarterly zine or publication would be a good idea, although publication and layout design is not one of my strengths and not one of my interests as a designer. However, as I want to be part of a small creative studio it would be a good idea to collaborate with people with different strengths to mine. 
I could also send samples of my work to specific companies, this will insure that it reaches the appropriate client group and will make them feel special and thought of, being sent something direct to  them.
Another way to get my work into the hands of potential clients would be to hold exhibitions or social events, like Leeds print festival for example, which I attended recently. This would be a great opportunity to network and show people what we do as a studio and as individuals. It is also a good way to make sure that my work is being directed at the right group of people, as I could be selective with who to invite.

No comments:

Post a Comment