Tuesday 26 April 2011

End of module evaluation

BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
04
 Module Code 
OUGD104               


 Module Title
Visual Language



END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME
Sadie Thompson
BLOG. ADDRESS
http://s-thompson1013.blogspot.com/

1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I have definitely learnt a great deal throughout this module, as it has been running since September. I feel that I have learnt a lot through the colour theory sessions which made me realise the importance of colour combinations, how they can effect a piece of design and how it is perceived by the viewer. I also learnt a lot during the type and grid sessions. I really enjoyed these in particular and feel that they helped my understanding of page layouts before having my InDesign induction.

2. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

During my what is a line brief I became more used to gathering primary research, as this was a key part to my topic of conversations. This is an improvement from the previous module as my primary research is definitely something that was lacking. I have collected a lot of overall research for what is a line, which has certainly helped develop my work by taking influence from different styles and techniques used. However I do feel that I could have done more in depth research for briefs and tasks set earlier in this module.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I really like my final illustrations for what is a line; I am starting to find that I feel comfortable working on Illustrator and normally like what I produce when using this programme. What is a line has helped me to realise that hand drawn illustration isn’t necessarily my area of expertise. I also feel that I produce some good layout redesigns for type and grid, I really enjoyed these sessions and think that with more practice on InDesign it is definitely something I could become very interested in.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

I feel that I sometimes leap ahead with my work, and dive straight into making a final design. I have to stop myself and make sure I do the back up research and development work that is not only required by the course, but also essential to giving my work more depth and to gain outside influences. In the future I intend to be on top of my blogging from the start and to consider all ideas and design developments before going down the first path that takes my liking.





5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

*Back all my work up with solid research to give my work more depth.
*Blog absolutely everything as I go, I need to stop telling myself that I’ll do it later. To gain the most from my blog I need to be doing this straight away and all the time while it is still fresh in my mind.
*When I give myself a time plan I need to do it. I tend to plan my time efficiently, but then not be strict enough with myself to follow it. Doing this will help me to get things done on time and avoid the mad rush to meet deadlines at the end.
*Organise my notes. I found by the end of this module that I have misplaced a lot of my original notes and work, especially seeing that this module in particular is quite a long one. Organising my paperwork, along with blogging will help me to keep everything up to date.
*Try not to stress out. When I motivate myself to do work but don’t stress myself out about it I generally enjoy it. I need to organise myself better so as not to stress and actually enjoy and look forward to developing my design work.

6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance




X
Punctuality




X
Motivation


X


Commitment



X

Quantity of work produced


X


Quality of work produced



X

Contribution to the group



X

The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment