Tuesday 15 February 2011

End of module evaluation



BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
04
 Module Code 
OUGD102               


 Module Title
DESIGN PROCESS


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME
Sadie Thompson
BLOG. ADDRESS
http://s-thompson1013.blogspot.com/

1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

The main skills I have built on are my Illustrator skills due to the Collection 100 brief, especially when tracing the 100 sex positions, which through repetition has helped me to vector very quickly. Also I have had to think quickly when changing subject quite a way into the brief. I had to make a judgement whether it was best to start from scratch or carry on with a subject I saw going nowhere. Choosing to start over I feel is a decision that has paid off in the end.

2. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

My methods of research have improved greatly throughout this brief, I have been encouraged to consider many different types of researching which I have never thought of before. Such methods include primary, secondary, qualitative and quantitative research. I have particularly found my primary research very useful, as it is my potential audience and target markets opinion that counts towards my finished products.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think the main qualities within this module’s work are my ideas and development on these. I think that in both the What if… and Collection 100 briefs the ideas are solid, original and have potential to be successful in today’s market. Especially in the Collection 100 brief I have been able to come up with a solid idea and develop it through my research and also respond to feedback in my crits to improve the final outcome.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

I feel that my final designs in the Collection 100 brief could have been improved. For example I would have made the packaging slightly bigger to accommodate the contents without damaging it. I also found it quite an obstacle to find a way to package an egg shape that both looks good, is cost effective and is easy to make within the facilities and equipment that I personally have access to.
Also in the What if… brief I feel I made great input when considering the research and development side of things, but I feel I could have contributed more to the final designs, but found it hard to do this as a group.



5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

*Work better within a group and try to get everyone to contribute equally in all aspects of the brief. Being able to work well within a team is a valuable asset to have, but something I maybe need to work on.
*Use more questionnaires and surveys within my research, this would help me to organise my findings and also be able to respond to accurate statistics and numbers, rather than random opinions.
*Organise my time more efficiently. Although I do feel this has improved since the last module it is something I could work on more to respond to the briefs set to my full potential, not just until my time runs out.
*Blog as I go. This is another thing I feel that has been improved since the last module, but I have still found that I had to fill in a lot of missing blog posts when the deadline came closer. Instead of blogging straight away I have been saving the information to post later, which is something I need to get out of the habit of doing. This is not only to save time and stress at the end of the module, but to keep my blog posts accurate and fresh.
*Use more design sheets. This module it seems that I have leapt straight from research to designing on the computer, without many mock-ups. This has meant that I have had to re-do a lot of my designs, rather than developing them to their full potential in the first place.

6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



X

Punctuality


X


Motivation



X

Commitment



X

Quantity of work produced


X


Quality of work produced



X

Contribution to the group



X

The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment