Monday 22 November 2010

End of Module Self Evaluation


BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN    LEVEL  04     Module Code      OUGD101             Module Title    DESIGN PRINCIPLES       
           END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME
 
   Sadie Thompson    BLOG. ADDRESS    http://s-thompson1013.blogspot.com/

1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?    
My time management and punctuality have both improved greatly since beginning this year, which has been something that was a problem in the past. I think that this also reflects my level of commitment towards the course .
I feel that I have learnt how to take criticism on board and channel it constructively to improve and develop my work. I also feel like I respond better under pressure and can produce an acceptable piece of design in a short time span.
Something that I am very pleased with is how quickly and easily I have found it to grasp the basics of Illustrator and Photoshop, especially knowing nothing at all about this software from the start.

2. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?                    
 The main development for me has been recording the majority of the research that I do straight on to my blog. This particularly helps when referencing certain designers, artists, books or websites. I have also started to read more and find research from books rather than relying solely on the internet and search engines to do my research for me.
                 
3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?               I am good at recognising faults within my work and improving them to develop and improve my work. I feel I am good at coming up with ideas on the spot and developing a concept so that it is relevant to the brief.
I enjoy making things aesthetically pleasing and colourful, although this doesn’t always apply to the brief I may be working on.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?          My main downfall is that my computer and software skills aren’t up to scratch, which I feel if they were it would help to aid my designs and in most cases give them a more professional finish.
When working with typography I find it hard to find type that works and is relevant to different aspects of the design. Image, concept and the space surrounding it being a few elements that need to be considered, although I am not entirely sure how.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?                   
Research more.
I feel I need to research in more depth before diving into an idea and getting too carried away with a concept. Another thing is recording all of my research as I go, as a lot of it does get lost due to lack of organisation.
Ask people’s opinions.
Develop my work by asking other people’s opinions and getting outside influences.
Blog as I go. I need record things on my blog as I do them as opposed to leaving it until the end of the week or brief deadline. By doing this it will ensure that I am recording my thought process while it is still fresh in my mind, and also avoid missing certain ideas or research out by mistake.
Experiment.
I need to explore and use different methods and techniques of working to broaden my skills and knowledge, even if I feel it is outside of my comfort zone. An example of this would be to explore different ways of printing within my work and experiment with different stocks.
Read.
Buy and read more magazines and newspapers on a regular basis to become more aware of contemporary designers, and also to respond to cultural influences.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment